Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Latest Reports From The Field

This past weekend, I helped out on a BFRO investigation of an area very close to where we will be hanging out in Mendo. I took an opportunity to scout out the campground and surrounding areas. Let me tell you that I was pleasantly suprised with what I found. Three words that spring to mind are "Tall", "Green" and "Prehistoric". The campground had just opened for the season, and there were only two tents in the place. I'm thinking it might get a bit more crowded by next weekend, but I will try to save as many sites as I can on Thursday. They allow two vehicles per-site, so hopefully I can get a solid head count by Wednesday. Tents and vehicles are dwarfed by these enormous Redwood giants. The location next to the river is prime and it is flowing cool, deep and clear. Still a bit cold for swimming, but I'm sure someone will jump in. The surrounding area is prime for hiking and exploring and the coast is two miles further down the road. I'll post some better directions before I leave. Gas up in Cloverdale as it's cheaper than the little spots after that. Also, Bring rain gear or lots of changes of clothes. Also, tarps and ropes to make overhangs for the campground just in case. I'm hoping for sun, but it's that time of year for rain...


No comments:

Post a Comment